LIA FINOCCHIARO MLA
LEADER of the Opposition
Leader of the Opposition
Gunner Government has no budget, no plan
Today’s shocking news that the Territory faces losing more than 21,000 jobs is why the Gunner Government needs to tell Territorians what economic plan it has. The economy is a shambles and it’s not all coronavirus caused. For two years we have had the worst performing economy in the nation.
“This reinforces why it is so important that the Gunner Government provide up to date financial information so that Territorians can judge for themselves how the Chief Minister has managed our books,” Mrs Finocchiaro said.
“Territorians are facing a scary future under the Gunner Government. When the Gunner Government came to power in 2016, it inherited a debt of $1.8 billion which has blown out to $6.2 billion predicted this year. No one really knows the true debt figure because the Chief Minister refuses to tell Territorians the truth.
“The Gunner Government only wants to be judged on how the National Cabinet has handled COVID-19 and for us to forget its management before that.
“The four years just gone have been a tale of wasteful spending, budget blow outs and economic mismanagement. Businesses have been shutting their doors and people have been leaving to start a life somewhere else.
“The CLP knows that to rebuild our economy and finances we need to get back to basics and play to our strengths. The time for tinkering around the edges is over, people lives and livelihoods depend on us to turn this around.
“Territorians did not deserve to go into COVID-19 weak and they certainly cannot trust a Labor Government, which is hiding from scrutiny, to do anything other than botch our recovery.
“Under a CLP Government Territorians can have confidence that prudent fiscal management coupled with a capable team whose focus will be on jobs, security and opportunity will steer a clear path,” Mrs Finocchiaro concluded.
The CLP will:
· Wind back red tape and ease the regulatory burden to support private sector investment.
· Improve community safety by tackling crime and supporting our police.
· Invest in water security through preserving, capturing and storing water.
· Utilise the sun when our nation is searching for clean power.
· Capitalise on our abundant, clean gas reserves, mineral resources, pastoral estate, agricultural and horticultural land and the opportunities they provide.
· Take advantage of our proximity to Asia to support trade and innovation.
· Plan for the return of a strong tourism sector.
· Enhance liveability, as it is a key part of growing our population.